The detailed birth story

4 Nov

Baby RJ was born on the 18th, a week before my due date. My water broke at 6am on the 17th. My contractions never started at all and by 6 pm that day we went to the hospital. They let me try to start my own labor until 5 am the next day when we started the pitocin (A drug they use to make contractions start). After the pitocin started, they slowly increased it until my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart. Pitocin is known to make your contractions much more painful than they would be on their own. Once my contractions got bad I asked for stadol (a short-term pain reliever that makes you a little loopy). I did the stadol because they checked me after hours of hard labor and I was only 1.5 centimeters and I kind of lost it. Apparently, the doctor checked me about an hour or two after the stadol kicked in and I was 5 centimeters but I don’t remember that check (because of the stadol).

15 minutes after the 5 centimeter check, I went to go to the bathroom (which took 3 people to get me there with all the equipment I was hooked up to and since I couldn’t really stand during a contraction) and  while on the toilet I started pushing without really meaning to. I tried to tell everyone I was pushing and I couldn’t stop but had a hard time convincing everyone it was time since I was just 5 cm 15 minutes before. I convinced the nurse to check me and I was 10cm and ready to go! My birth class instructor said since I dilated so quickly after I got the stadol, it means it was a good move. The doctor came in (Dr. Phemister) after a few pushes with the nurse and 20 minutes later RJ was born! We had great nurses and Dr. Phemister was great. Everyone read our birth plan and tried their hardest to help us achieve it. Right now RJ is doing great and back up to his birth weight. Arthur and I are adjusting to less sleep and learning RJ’s little ques. He seems perfect to me in every way and I love him more than I thought was possible.

As for how I feel about the birth, I think it went as best it could given the circumstances. I’ve heard it’s pretty rare to not go into labor after your water breaks and we had to deal with that. Without the support of Arthur, my mom, my doula (Cheryl), and the Doctors and nurses, I could not have done it. Arthur has been so helpful during the pregnancy, during the birth, and now with RJ home. Having RJ makes me love Arthur so much more. I wouldn’t ask for anything else.

Thank you to those of you who have sent food and notes of encouragement. You all make this process a lot smoother for us. God has truly blessed us with a huge support group and an amazing little boy.


One Response to “The detailed birth story”

  1. christal November 5, 2009 at 9:49 am #

    great story.. everything seemed to go very smoothly in the end but it must have been scary to not have him come after the water broke.. but he seems really strong and healthy.. God is good.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: